01 April 2008

Scootering

This evening, after track practice, I got a chance to drive around in my first official scooter-driving lesson with JD (and a young D child in his sidecar). I tried the light-speed switch, but it seems to be stuck right now. So I was stuck going a pedestrian 6.67x10^-8 of c. Translation for non-uber-nerds: 38mph. The basic plan was once around the block on back-streets, then to TCS, practice weaving between lines at TCS, then drive back. Red Honda Elite Scooter (her name until someone comes up with a better one) handled excellently all the way up to 43 mph. (No, I didn't attempt to go faster. Especially at this point, what would the point be?) She had momentary issues idling in the church parking lot, but this was a known minor hose problem that poses no safety concern. It will shortly be fixed permanently. Next driving lesson later this week.

OK, on to Jackson: He can roll over both ways with ease. He is eating pureed vegetables (yuck!) and cereals, and has two bottom front teeth. He recently bought a tent so that he could join us at track meets. Jen says he adores his father. Let's hope the respect continues for at least 17.6 years.

On Real Estate: We've got a couple more leads on a condo buyer. Pray with us that one of them pans out!

5 comments:

Danielle said...

Why is the scooter a "she"? Post a picture of Jackson's teeth, please! We'll be praying for the condo buying issue in RUF prayer meeting.

ScientificLee said...

Means of transportation, and many other large-ish objects are commonly referred to using feminine pronouns. This is a well-established fact of the English language. For example, ships are always feminine, regardless of their perceived manly qualities. Furthermore, my scooter's nerdiness does not preclude her femininity, because there exist nerdy females. If you find a responsible grammar guide (i.e. not MLA) in contradiction to the general principle stated above, I will retract my use of the feminine pronoun.

Anonymous said...

I must admit, that's pretty cool that you got a scooter. It must be more gas efficient, and better for the environment. :-)
Jackson's getting big!
~Laura

Danielle said...

I'm still waiting for a picture of Jackson's teeth... please?

Anonymous said...

Seriously Chris. Making your scooter a "she" is extremely sexist. I'd be extremely offended by it if I wasn't so sexist myself.

And Jackson sat on my books today...